The League is a nonpartisan organization that conducts public forums on a wide array of issues of concern to the Arlington community. We also do policy advocacy on positions established through internal study and democratic consensus. We do not take positions on candidates or political parties.
View these videos to learn more about the League's history and our call to action.
Our top priority for 2017-2018, as chosen at our Annual Membership Meeting, is increasing access to voting for Virginia's citizens. This is our top priority because all the other issues we care about -- from expanding health care, to reducing gun violence, to halting global climate change all start with citizens exercising their franchise and electing lawmakers who will champion these causes.
- Our "Extraordinary Art/Film Club" meet-ups featured topics such as: 'Work/Family scheduling/balance', 'Tribute to Earth Day: What is recyclable in Arlington?', and 'Structured Payment Policies in Virginia'.
- We co-sponsored a student performance at Yorktown High School of “The Girls Who Glow” , by Ginny Mohler, YHS ('06).
- We hosted successful pre-legislative hearings for our state Delegates and Senators.
- Working with InspireVirginia in our February-March 2017 campaign, we registered over 400 high school seniors.
- In March we presented a Post--Legislative Roundtable with Arlington's State Delegates and State Senator.
- We promoted and attended LWV-Falls Church's screening and discussion of the film "Pay2Play" in March.
- On April 2, 2017 we hosted a presentation and discussion featuring our County Manager, Mark Schwartz, on how the new laws and executive orders will affect Arlington, its citizens, and those who work in Arlington.
- On April 22, 2017 we held a "Meet and Greet" for new members.
- On May 20, 2017 we held our Annual Meeting and Elections.
- May-June 2017 we offered Voter Registration opportunities at neighborhood festivities.